The School of Health and Kinesiology at Georgia Southern University seeks to become an elite academic unit focusing on the interdisciplinary study of athletic training, coaching, exercise science, nutrition and food science, pedagogy, physical activity/healthful living and sport psychology. The School promotes undergraduate and graduate education, scholarship, research and grant procurement and a commitment to professional and public service. To this end, the School of Health and Kinesiology at Georgia Southern University will be characterized by:
- Student preparation for future excellence through interdependent leadership, innovation, and service.
- Diverse faculty and staff who are internationally acclaimed, use emerging technology, are innovative with curriculum, produce grants and scholarly manuscripts, are socially responsible, and have a genuine regard for students.
- Community partnerships to enhance human well being.
- An environment that promotes academic distinction, high expectations, and intellectual engagement through student centered research and learning initiatives, faculty research collaboration, and technological advancement.
- A clearly focused and valued purpose for each program:
- Athletic Training – prepare clinically competent and critical thinking health care professionals to work in the allied health profession of athletic training.
- Coaching – prepare competent athlete centered coaches who meet the national coaching standards
- Exercise Science – prepare students to demonstrate an understanding of the application of theoretical knowledge to practical situations or issues in exercise science.
- Nutrition and Food Science – promote the integration of knowledge in nutrition and food science and to develop leadership and critical thinking skills necessary for achievement of excellence in the profession of dietetics.
- Pedagogy – prepare students to become a health and physical educator in a traditional school setting.
- Physical Activity/Healthful Living – educate the university community on the importance of understanding the factors that promote health and wellness throughout the lifespan.
- Sport Psychology – prepare students for professional advancement in the field of sport and exercise psychology by applying theoretical knowledge to practical situations on issues in sport and exercise psychology.
Last updated: 5/31/2017