FMAD Students Win at the Night of Spectacles

FMAD student, Sidney Walker with her model

Eight students from the College of Health and Human Sciences Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design (FMAD) program, along with six additional fashion design students throughout the state of Georgia, participated in the Night of Spectacles on April 2-at the Foundry at Puritan Mill. The event is an annual fundraiser held for the Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation with proceeds benefiting vision and hearing programs in Georgia. The 14 designers were supplied with broken eye-wear collected through the Lighthouse’s Recycling Program and were challenged to create high fashion designs embellished with and inspired by vision and eye-wear. Final designs were modeled by Lighthouse Volunteer Doctors in a runway show with each design being critiqued by a panel of judges. Judges for this year’s event included Lacee Watkins, Melanie Woodroffe, Ashley James and FMAD alumni, Felicis Ruiz.

FMAD student, Acacia MIller

FMAD student, Acacia Miller

First and second place in show were awarded to two Georgia Southern FMAD students, Sidney Walker and Acacia Miller. Ms. Walker was presented with a scholarship in the amount of $1000.00 and Ms. Miller was presented with a scholarship in the amount of $500.00. Walker and Miller noted that when they submitted their application for the runway event, winning was the furthest thing from their minds. “The event forced me to challenge my creative ability and made me feel more secure as a designer. Winning the competition has given me an indescribable confidence” stated Walker. Miller remarked “I would have never imagined for myself to place, especially with all the other talented designers present. The competition boosted my confidence as a designer and I am thankful I placed and represented Georgia Southern University well.”

Assistant Professor for the School of Human Ecology, Hope Simpara, stated “judges were very impressed by the work of our students. This was the eighth year Georgia Southern was represented at the Night of Spectacles with students from our program being awarded first place the last three years.”

Event photos can be viewed at www.nightofspectacles.org.

Share:

Posted in CHHS, School of Human Ecology